20100705

Bursting stomachs

Right after I came back from the short trip to Kota Kinabalu, I fell sick. It's not just the usual symptom of feeling sick of Hong Kong after a good trip. I am physically sick. I suffer from lethargy, indigestion and loss of appetite. I believe there are two possible causes. It is either heat stroke or over-eating.

Hong Kong is currently under the Very Hot Weather warning and I find the heat much harder to bear than the tropical city which is nearer the equator. Not only is Hong Kong more humid, the mushrooming of tall buildings everywhere means that heat gets trapped and cannot dissipate easily.

The second possibility is even more likely. For the last few days, I have been guilty of binging in the morning. The breakfast of the resort hotel was so enticing that I just wolved down the food without regarding my capacity.

The other day, I came across a news article about how a python in Florida's swamps lost its life when it tried to gobble up an alligator. The 13-foot Burmese python tried to swallow the 6-foot alligator whole but then exploded. It's a classic fable of how one has to pay a heavy price because of one's greed.

I should take the lesson from the moral of the story. For a few mornings, I went on such a bust that my poor stomach nearly burst. This experience also reminds me of how Eve succumbed to the temptation of the serpent and sin against God. Genesis 3:6 reads: "...the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes" (Genesis 3:6).

No comments: