20100718

"There is need of only one thing"


In today's Gospel (Luke 10:38-42), we saw a woman called Martha getting upset, and possibly angry, about her sister Mary sitting beside Jesus listening to him speak while she herself was burdened with much serving work. She complained to Jesus and asked Jesus to tell Mary to help her. Jesus's reply was:

"Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."

When reading this, I had a strong feeling that Jesus was speaking to me. The name "Martha" could easily have been replaced with mine. I do get anxious and I do worry about many things. I also often feel righteous and virtuous, and easily harbour that feeling of indignation about others whom I see as not doing the good work I do. The statement above is a fitting reminder to me that my toilings and endeavours should be guided by Jesus's teaching. That should give me a clearer direction and give me better peace of mind. I will then not feel anxious and worried, nor be jealous of or angry with others without trying to understand them.

Taking the time to sit beside Jesus and listen to him speak is the "one thing" I need.

No comments: