20101127

Nowhere else in the world I'd rather be

I remember reading from a travel guidebook about Japan the writer's account of his experience in an outdoor onsen. After trekking for a long time, he managed to find the onsen before it got dark. There was no one around as he dipped into the onsen set in beautiful scenery. Describing his elation, the writer said that there was nowhere else in the world he would rather be.

That was the feeling I had when I was lying on the grass of a mound at the countryside this morning. Suffocated by endless work, I needed to re-charge by re-connecting with Nature. So I cast aside the work and went hiking, on a trail much farther away than those I usually take, where I was sure I wouldn't meet many people. And then I stopped over at that mound. The sun warmed the otherwise fairly cool morning and, together with the gentle breeze, caressed the leaves, which rattled in gratitude. Insects were scuttling or whisking by. Some birds were heard but not seen. Lying on the grass with a book in hand, I also had the feeling that there was probably nowhere else in the world I would rather be. Life's best pleasure is simple and free for all. Somehow we just do not seek it.

As I left my little hideout, I felt much energised, and more ready to take on my ordeals.

No comments: