20120417

Treat your students like they are your own children



A relative of my wife’s recently asked me to recommend a secondary school for her son who has been doing quite well in his primary school.

The question reminded me of how I would evaluate how good a school is, and the key criterion lies in what a school principal once told me. She said she always told the teachers to treat the students like they are their own children. I suppose that if that is really put in practice, the school should be fine. As the Bible says, “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?” (Matthew 7:9-10)

But how can you tell if the principle is upheld by the teachers? One good sign is that there are teachers who actually send their own children to the school in which they teach.
And I do know some schools with such teachers. They could be worth recommending to the relative.

No comments: